Hark, the Herald on poisonous gases

In a shameless piece of execrable disinformation today, the NZ Herald tries to tell us that carbon dioxide is a poisonous gas. Poisonous?

We readily discover that CO2 is colourless and odourless, a trace constituent of air (less than argon), and is exhaled in human breath. Carbon dioxide is non-poisonous at levels below about 30,000 ppmv, when symptoms appear of reduced acuity of hearing and increasing blood pressure and pulse—after more than 30 minutes. An encounter with such enormous levels of CO2 can be caused only by some industrial or medical catastrophe. In ordinary daily life it’s inconceivable.

Carbon dioxide is essential for life, ubiquitous and entirely benign.

In gathering news for us, Murray Kirkness, you really ought not distort reality.

4 Thoughts on “Hark, the Herald on poisonous gases

  1. Maggy Wassilieff on November 27, 2017 at 10:29 am said:

    Lake Nyos degassing is the only example of volcanic CO2 poisoning that I know about.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos_disaster

  2. Richard Treadgold on November 27, 2017 at 10:50 am said:

    Yes, that was a terrible tragedy.

  3. Mike Jowsey on November 27, 2017 at 4:39 pm said:

    But, but, it’s POLLUTION !! Therefore it MUST be poisonous. An obvious fact to libtards, often overlooked by alt-right deniers. (/sarc)

  4. Maggy Wassilieff on December 1, 2017 at 11:13 am said:

    I’ve been worrying about the Herald journalists and the TV One folk.

    There’s something going wrong with their cognitive skills.

    But I reckon I’ve cracked the problem….. they’re being poisoned with their own exhalations.
    https://www.kane.co.uk/knowledge-centre/what-are-safe-levels-of-co-and-co2-in-rooms

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post Navigation